Self Esteem Enhancement


Self Esteem

Self-esteem is simply the way you feel about yourself.  It is the product of your evaluation of your real-self compared with your ideal-self.   Everyone has an ideal-self.  This is who you believe you should be. (Remember, "shoulds" almost always add unnecessary stress).  You formed this schema of the ideal-self at an early age based upon what people said you “should” be.   That is, as a child, praise was given not for who you were, but what you were able to do or how you were able to act.  As a result, you formed schemas or ideas about what a "good girl" or "good boy" should be. 
Due to children's immature reasoning, many things are overgeneralized and made into global, stable and internal attributions. They start to think… “I have to be [this way] all the time or I am a bad person.”   This tends to create an unrealistic ideal-self.  For instance, many girls grow up with media influences that show women who do it all, and they are told (directly or indirectly) that to be good enough, they need to be attractive and successful partners, mothers and business-women.  This is called the superwoman stereotype.  The same types of influences make little boys believe they must always be strong, successful, good partners and primary providers.  In reality, it is nearly impossible for either gender to do all of those things all the time.  Your real-self is who you are with all of your inherent imperfections.  Your self esteem is how you feel about yourself when you compare the “Me I should be” with the “Me I am.”  You may see that you have room for improvement.  That is actually a good thing.  You can always improve.  When you look at your real-self the “Me I am,” how do you feel about that person? 
To improve self-esteem, you must look at all of the things on your “Me I should be” list.  Identify which ones are really important to help you have a rich and meaningful life.  Then comes the hard part.  For the things you decide are less important, cross them off and change the way you feel about them (that is, realize that it is not important to you to be good at everything and you are loveable without that characteristic).  For example, I may never be able to run a 24 minute 5k again or be as thin as I was in college, but neither one of those things is critical to helping me have the life I want right now. 
If it is something important then you need to make a plan to change yourself.  For example, being a loving and available parent for my kids is central in my vision of a rich and meaningful life.  Because of some health issues, working out like I used to could kill me. So, I will stop trying to push my limits at the gym so I can be there for my kids.

CEUs are available for this video at AllCEUs.com

Comments